It Isn’t The Muslims

This morning I read a tweet by JK Rowling.

Eight times more Muslims have been killed by so-called Islamic terrorists than non-Muslims.

She attached an interesting article by Yassin Musharbash.

Duh, this became incredibly evident when I sat around and thought about it.  I just never had before.  There is a long history of violence in the East and it doesn’t seem to be getting too much better.

The media explodes when violence upon non-Muslim groups occurs.  9/11, Charlie Hebdo, and the beheadings are all great examples of this.  Each of those events are heartbreaking and it is right for us to mourn and protest.

But we should be having the same reaction to the violence happening against Muslims everyday.  Their homes are burnt, their children are massacred, and violence is a way of life in many of their towns.  They are faced with great troubles and unfortunate situations because of where they live.  Most of them don’t have a place to run to.

It’s exhausting to hear about how Islam is a violent religion, because it’s not.  Not any more so than Christianity, at least.  There are extremists killing anyone in their way.  This shouldn’t be Muslims against non-Muslims.  Until people realize that, until people quit pitting groups against each other, the prejudice will never stop.

17 thoughts on “It Isn’t The Muslims

1. stevetheman18 says:

Yes, I agree that there are Islamic terrorists who have killed more Muslims than non-Muslims but I greatly disagree with you on the point that Islam isn’t a violent religion. The very core of it is if you don’t believe, we are going to torture you and kill you for not believing. Have you even read The Quran? Well, I have read quite a bit of it. “The Quran contains at least 109 verses that call Muslims to war with nonbelievers for the sake of Islamic rule. Some are quite graphic, with commands to chop off heads and fingers and kill infidels wherever they may be hiding.” Not all Muslims of course kill people but the religion is one of violence. The Quran (2:191-193) – “And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. And Al-Fitnah [disbelief] is worse than killing…”

BTW: I’m a Christian and middle-eastern and I’m not saying that all middle-eastern people are bad. There’s a lot of good people but not Muslims if they really follow the religion. I honestly feel bad for them sometimes. Plus, there is no where in the Bible for Christians to kill others. To force others to believe what we do. The people who claim to be Christians and blow up abortion clinics in the name of Jesus Christ or not from Jesus Christ.

I get your points and you’re exactly right on most of them but I get why sometimes westerners hate them. For example, my best friend’s older brother who was married and had kids was killed because he had to go over sea’s and fight. If it wasn’t for them, he might not have had to go over and die. However, I don’t extremely hate them and want to blow them up like maybe they would do to me. I have much compassion for the people who have been victims of this religion since I am middle-eastern. I don’t hate the people except for the terrorists who have chosen a more dark path, but I am extremely disgusted with the idea that you don’t have free will to pick what you want to believe if anything.

• Kassie says:

Okay, but the general practice isn’t violence. And the Bible is violent. Eat your children if they are disobedient. Death, punishment, violence.

Now the healthy minded Christian can disregard these events and follow peacefully. So can the Muslims. There are literal and there are metaphoric representations.

Scholars have drawn many similarities between the two works. I am neither Christian nor Muslim, so I have a different position. Anyone could use either book to defend either violence or peace.
      I respect your position, but I think religious bias can stand in the way. To blame nearly 25% of the world (Muslims) for a violence created by such a minuscule percentage of their actions is ridiculous.

Some versus from Al Quran;

Indeed, Allah is with those who are righteous and those who do good.

So Allah gave them the reward of this world, as also an excellent reward of the next; and Allah loves those who do good.

And good and evil deeds are not alike. Repel evil with good. And he who is your enemy will become your dearest friend.

Liked by 1 person

• stevetheman18 says:

Yes, I would agree with that. Most of the Muslim people don’t kill each other, if so then a lot more people would die. In fact, maybe this is why more extreme Muslims are killing their own people because they aren’t doing what The Quran says by not as much standing up for what it says you must do. Could be a reason I think.

Yes, quite! The Bible (especially the old testament is filled with people’s lives that did evil things). Actually, God thought that eating their own children was evil and is a “pagan practice.” He condemned it! Not to be too depressing but Life is filled with violence, evil, and pain.

One point that we should just agree on is that radicals say they use a certain religion, faith, or even a cult to harm or cause fear in others, They don’t use the roots of any religion. Religion if it’s worth anything is supposed to bring hope and peace while they don’t.

I thought that you might say that. I would only be biased and ignorant if I didn’t think of any of other religion could be true but I researched other religions and faiths. I did a lot of thinking and came up with many conclusions with evidence.

Honestly, it sounds like Allah isn’t very consistent. This might sound like I’m mocking him and maybe I am but in some verses he says to live a good life and then others he says to kill those who basically stand in your way. Who don’t believe what he believes is right. He doesn’t really seem like a God who’s very righteous and fair. I think every normal human being can agree that killing is evil. I don’t believe it is ever needed for a human to take revenge on a human for what their God or religion says. That thought is when you become blinded by your religion. One of the things that my God says in the Bible, “Revenge and justice are mine.” So if Allah is so powerful and mighty, I’m sure he will get his revenge on people he believes should go to Hell… without his followers trying to persuade others to follow him by sometimes forceful means as Allah wants them to do. My God doesn’t need Christians to kill others to convince people to follow Him. If that were true then I would not be having anything with Jesus and my God that I worship currently.

So I hope you get some of my points and I get yours. In all, this world is in turmoil and we as humans need to figure something out before the world goes out of control.

If our lives weren’t enough crazy with having so much drama having our favorite teams lose. Sorry about your Tide. 😦 I’ll be rooting for Ohio st. because I don’t like Oregon at all. Plus, I’m more of a big Ten guy. Was so happy to see Wisconsin beat Auburn in the Outback bowl. You gotta be happy about that I would think. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

• Kassie says:

Well put. I think that I am most surely not a religious scholar. I think that God or Allah or Mother Nature or whoever can understand me and my motives and that’s what matters.

Kudos for sticking up for your belief. I think there is violence in every corner of every historical doctrine because unfortunately that’s a part of human nature.

Yes I am happy, but both Alabama and my Cowboys lost and so now I am sad football is over for me.

Liked by 1 person

• stevetheman18 says:

Thank you and honestly you’ve been great! I always hate to talk to people who just believe what other people say. In a way, I honestly don’t care what people believe as long as they follow this and this and when they do this, whatever in life, they will come to the most logical answer. This is at the very core to my values. “Don’t just follow the crowd but think for yourself so you can be yourself while being passionate and committed at what you do and believe.” In everything I do, I look at every angle and think about it. My personality is an INTJ, which if you’re familiar, is all about the independent thinking and constantly thinking of how we can improve ourselves kind of personality. It’s helped me so much in life.

If you want, this is a post (free-verse poem) of my story of how I became who I am. How I dealt with my depression that I had for so many years. http://whatiliketodobysteve.wordpress.com/2015/01/06/when-i-look-into-the-mirror-retelling-of-my-story/

Yes, well I’m a Green Bay and Seattle Seahawk fan so I got a big game this coming week.

Liked by 1 person

• Kassie says:

YES YES AMEN. Especially with the overwhelming presence of social media, people have completely lost the ability to think for themselves or have a civil conversations. YES.

We have a lot in common, I’ll definitely check it out!

Liked by 1 person

• Kassie says:

I definitely understand your points.

I just think that it’s premature to say you don’t want to blow them up like they want to do to you because most of them don’t. And I doubt you are, but there are radical Christians. Ones who blow up abortion clinics, attack non-Christians and non-whites.

Religion is a fantastic practice for so many people, but anyone who needs an excuse can find one in either doctrine.

I hope you understand that I am not talking down Christianity, I think that to blame Muslims for something most of them heavily disagree with is just as prejudice as any other segregation

Liked by 1 person

2. Omnifab says:

Kassie and Steve,

You both have excellent points.

I am no religious scholar but I have investigated several.

Practically all religions have a violent/militant aspect in their doctrines. However, most writings of any religion were written based second, third, fourth or more hand accounts of the person who is the subject of the religion. None of them were written (at least entirely) by the person who inspired them or through whom the message was revealed. Therefore, no matter how divine, enlightened or inspired the originator of the religion, the writings were filtered through people. Thus, either intentionally or unintentionally, the texts were influenced by interpretations of events at the time and personal opinions of events.

Additionally, if we look at the New Testament of the Christian Bible, the books to be included were selected by only a few people to express the message they wanted to use to help inspire/rule the people of the time.

There are two main points to my comments:

1) Religious texts from any religion can be used and quoted to justify pretty much any action, no matter how extreme.

2) Perhaps instead of basing one’s beliefs entirely on the writings of one’s religion, perhaps the world would be a better and more peaceful place if we all tried to emulate the person who inspired the religion or others who have exemplified it (M. Ghandi, ML King Jr., Mother Teresa, the (current) Dalai Lama, Pope Francis among many others)

Liked by 1 person

• Kassie says:

As with anything, somewhere along the past several thousand years, something has changed. Circumstances have changed and people have changed. We can not question the people responsible for writing an old work, because they aren’t here. We just have to do the best we can to make sense of it.

3. Raiha says:

Being a Muslim who has studied the Quran, about the Quran and about Islam since birth, let me tell you one thing about it: Most of the violent verses in the Quran have been written before, during or after the Battles in which Muhammad fought to protect the Muslim community of Makkah in Arabia. These “Ghazwas”, Uhad, Badr and Khandaq to name a few, were violent. And it was during this time Allah ordered all those “infidels” to be executed just like they were killing the Muslims.

The Arabs are a violent race. They are also the people responsible for sowing the seed of extremism among the Muslims. The “Shariah Law” they practice has little to no justification in the Quran. Lashing a blogger in public because he condemned Saudi laws? NOT acceptable according to my version of the religion!

That being said, since the verses DO exist, they can be interpreted in any way. When they are taken out of context, as they ALWAYS are, they do seem as if they are ordering to kill everyone and spread terror. That’s the thing I am skeptical about regarding religion, it is so vague and inconsistent.

Do you know how people like me, the “liberal” Muslims, interpret the Quran? Completely in metaphors and logic. We strive to see the logic behind what was said and then apply that logic to THIS age. That’s why even we are infidels in the eyes of extremists. If I were to say all this in a mic in public in my country, I will be carted off by said extremists.

They don’t care whether I am a “Muslim” or not! I may be a “better Muslim” than them in the eyes of God, but they do not care. They are psychotic beings who murdered innocent children in the Peshawar Attack. MUSLIM children! These terrorists have no religion and the way they have interpreted the Quran is in itself, blasphemy! Killing in the name of Allah and His Prophet are the biggest disrespect to them and their memory according to the Quran and Sunnah.

There is nothing in the Quran that COMPELS a person to be violent. It is the mind of the individual which is responsible for it. And I really appreciate the fact that people like you are willing to understand that.

Liked by 1 person

• Kassie says:

Thank you so so much for this. Unfortunately, because of where I’ve grown up, there are few Muslims. None from my hometown. Seeing as it’s 95% Christian, there is a lot of bias and prejudice and I hate that. There will always be people who are violent by nature and seek justification for their actions. It isn’t surprising, based on the psychological principle of “group think” that extremism has occurred. It’s unacceptable for ANYONE to suffer at the hands of such violence.

This was so beautifully written. I hope you share this message with anyone who is discriminatory towards you or other Muslims. This is fantastic.

Liked by 1 person

4. rixlibris says:

I can think of no religion, monotheistic or polytheistic, that lacks some history of murder, mayhem or conquest in the name of their deity(s) and so all pretty much come with the same stains.

In my opinion, if the foundational writings that underpin a religion are inconsistent and open to individual interpretation then they are really of no value as guideposts. If these writings truly are handed down from an Almighty Creator, one might expect clarity and consistency.

After all, how many differing edicts can one God dictate without hopelessly confusing His (or Her) creation?

What works for me is to free God from all those various boxes of sect, cult, denomination, or what have you and, as nearly as is possible, to communicate directly with the source.

I respect everyone’s right to worship or to not worship as they see fit but as soon as anyone, without regard to their ecclesiastical standing says, “what God meant was,” they’ve lost me.

What sort of God would purposely confound and confuse his followers in order to force them to elevate (and finance) spiritual leaders in order to receive clarification?

To me, religion is a human function, spirituality belongs to God.

But that’s just me. Whatever works for you, God bless.

Liked by 1 person

• Kassie says:

“Religion is a human function, spirituality belongs to God.”

That is so perfectly put. In my opinion, religion exists as a way to deal with the unthinkable that we ourselves are unable to handle.

Thoughts?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s