Current Events in Education

I believe that every school should add a current events class to their curriculum, beginning in Kindergarten and lasting through Senior year.  We prioritize that our children study historical literature and ancient societies, but we rarely encourage them to learn about the present.  We need to show them how history too often repeats itself, not just keep repeating that sentence.  We need to expand their minds to the good and the bad happening across the world.  We need to teach them the importance of being involved.  We need to start them out young so that being aware of current events is a habit.  Too many young people are growing up in a sheltered bubble, not realizing what is happening in politics, the environment, and social societies across the world.  We need to teach them to look at these events, create opinions and ideas, and make a difference.  We need to change this.

8 thoughts on “Current Events in Education

1. Aakansha says:

Now that I’m all grown up and in college I realized that we do need to teach children to be ‘aware.’ I confess and I’m pretty guilty about it that I didn’t even have a slight idea of what was going on in the world, like general awareness and had to pay the cost when I went to various college interviews and they asked me the current affairs and I stuttered.

You’re absolutely right, instead of making children mug up history we must encourage them to watch the news or read the newspaper everyday. Like a ‘General Knowledge’ session for students to share their opinions, as you very well suggested.

As for now, I’ve starting watching news vividly and can surely put up a healthy debate regarding various events going on in India as well as the world.

To the point and a very logical post!

Liked by 1 person

• Kassie says:

I read the news every single morning. But I didn’t start doing that until my 2nd year of college! I still have to look up certain stuff because I missed it when it happened a few years ago, and I need it to understand what’s going on. We absolutely don’t provide kids with the knowledge to think for themselves in terms of current events, so they just say what their parents say, with no reason or rhyme to back it up.

Liked by 1 person

2. Just Plain Ol' Vic says:

I agree 100% that current events should be taught.

Now the minefield in all of this is what events are taught and from what perspective? I don’t know if you ever heard this phrase before: History is written by the winners. So too are current events.

I am all for telling it like it is, without any embellishment.

Liked by 1 person

• Kassie says:

Well I think that could be the beauty of a class like this. Every single person in that room will have a different perspective. Not only will children learn about current events, they will learn how to listen, debate, and convince at a young age, something that even many politicians still seem to struggle with. They would learn how to pick out the probable facts based off different sources and create their own opinions. We would be educating them on how to live in a world filled with so much going on, essentially.

Liked by 1 person

3. Gemma says:

It wasn’t until I left home that I realized how hard it is to stay up to date on current events. I come from a house that always has some news channel on in the background, so when I got to college, where I had no tv, I had to find new ways to stay up to date. I agree with you that it’s something people should always be aware of, and should learn to do. Not all will do it on their own, but I think more people would carry it over into their adult lives.

Liked by 1 person

4. ccchanel41 says:

I completely agree with you. I have said this myself, as my kids come home and know absolutely nothing of current events. Civics is not taught, they don’t even know History. What they learn they learn from me. This is such an excellent post.

Liked by 1 person

Thoughts?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s