Let’s Put Religion in Our [Private] Schools

“Let’s put religion back in our schools!”  “Impeach Obama because he isn’t Christian!” (Is that even true?)

Okay, here’s to the people of America sharing and liking and flooding Facebook, Pinterest, your cars bumper, etc.  Let’s calm on down.

We cannot forget the Constitution in which this nation was built on.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Public schools are governmental institutions Requiring religion in them is against the constitution.  The Bible can be taught only if every other religious doctrine is taught as well.

The beautiful thing here is our country’s dedication to providing free education for every student without forcing religion upon them. If you disagree with this completely, then you are lucky to live in a country where you have every right to enroll your child in a private, religious institution that teaches the way you wish.  That’s because the government isn’t “prohibiting the free exercise” that you have to practice religion.

Honestly, I don’t see the real problem.  What is the purpose of having a world full of people who are practicing the same religion because they are brought up in a society with no other options? Wouldn’t the church be much more valuable if it were filled with believers who found God and their beliefs on their own terms? Who benefits from having religion forced upon them?

If you are really worried about your children’s beliefs, talk to them. Take them to church and pray with them.  The government isn’t telling the children not to be Christian.  It’s just telling them that they don’t have to in order to receive an education and a fair leg in society.

What do you think?  Am I wrong?  I’d love to hear some opinions here.

12 thoughts on “Let’s Put Religion in Our [Private] Schools

1. cageofsleepwalkers says:

I agree with you completely. I happen to live in Mass. where there was a sudden outcry over “Mass. schools teaching kids ‘There is no God but Allah'” as the news articles liked to call it. Something such as this would be unconstitional, but if it were being taught in a historical sense I would have no issue since it cannot be avoided. The number of people agreeing that this, if true, would be unconstitional yet at the same time saying their God needed to be in schools was astounding. Public schools where being viewed as the enemy to Christian religion for their neutrality when there are so many other options for them to choose from!

Liked by 1 person

• kassiehart says:

Yes, exactly! Thank you for that story from Massachusetts, I had not heard it before. Religion and education are two different matters and the only way to build up a functioning society is to let people decide their paths.

2. Perse says:

Thanks for the post. I tend to be opinionated in controversial topics to the point of incivility; that’s why I avoid writing about such on my own blog. I could never hope to contribute to a peaceful discussion, a sad state of affairs coming from a blog’s author. I admire the way you address the issue of religion in schools in an inoffensive manner!

• Perse says:

I’m studying to be an astrophysicist, but I don’t have a carreer in it yet. I avoid religion like the plague. Science has nothing to do with it and most scientists follow a policy of detachment. I have assumed that general rule for my public image, but the truth is I am *sooo* opposed to religion…balancing that with what I view as a society gone insane is a nightmare, to say the least. It’s one of my daily struggles. I *do* write about climate change on my blog, but it’s controversial enough to be a scary topic for me. I hide most of my point of view in fiction and poetry. If you look, you can find it everywhere on my blog!

Liked by 1 person

• kassiehart says:

My boyfriend is a physics major and he’s the exact same way! I just think that religion is a huge safety net for a lot of people.

As far as climate change being controversial, that is ridiculous in my opinion. There is sooo much evidence for it. I’m a huge go green person. While I’ve never enjoyed studying science, I’m very interested in scientific discoveries. I will definitely be checking out your blog!

• Perse says:

The problem is people don’t like the evidence, so they ignore it. A few years back, one of the Carolinas (I can’t remember if it was North or South) passed a law stating that scary curves on climate change graphs would be ignored. I wonder how many scientists remained residing in the state after that! I know *I* would have moved, or at least ranted about it to half a million people…

• Perse says:

Thanks in part to the climate march in New York! Kudos to @AndThenThere’sPhysics and @rachelsquirrel (both climate science WordPress bloggers, not entirely sure if I got their usernames right) for spreading the word on that one.

Liked by 1 person

• kassiehart says:

Wow, thank you! I definitely understand. I have such strong opinions, but no one listens if you just get frustrated with it. It usually takes me a few days to organize my thoughts in, what I hope to be, a constructive matter. It isn’t easy, sometimes I just want to scream. So thank you for noticing, I really appreciate it!

• Perse says:

I *always* appreciate a well-spoken blogger of controversial topics, since I’m *so* weak in that area. Thank *you*. 🙂

Thoughts?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s